A semi-open forum to slam (or support) whatever i dream up on my blogs. Have fun! :)

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Bridge Over Troubled Water

Hello, it's me again; once again after too long of a period of time. I have my reasons.

Something happened yesterday that I just can't ignore here, though. My Minnesota roots demand it, I think. Besides, I'm of the mood to write about this. Life hasn't been good to me for the last few weeks, you see. Then, I get up today to go eat and read the newspaper and see this. Needless to be said, it didn't help my mood.

Yesterday, during rush hour in Minneapolis, the I-35W bridge fell into the Mississippi River; at latest count (I've been checking the internet) there are at least 4 dead and over 50 injured, some still missing. A total tragedy. My heart goes out to those who were injured and the families of those who lost loved ones.

Minnesota is a land full of water - be it numerous lakes or the creeks and rivers that join them. This, of course, also means that it has many bridges. These bridges are vital to the state's infrastructure, and directly contribute to every one of it's citizen's livelihood and well-being. The importance of these bridges cannot be understated. How, then, can something like this happen?

Readers of this blog pretty much know that I tend to stay away from political issues in here. That's not because I consider myself politically ignorant, however. I just don't want this blog of mine to be a "soapbox". There are plenty of those. I prefer to blog about light and humorous things, whether I make them up or just report them. This story, however, has nothing funny about it. This may be the only time I ever do this in this blog, but I'm going to pontificate now.

Back when I was in the Navy, I worked in the nuclear power area. It was very complex, complicated, and high-tech. By it's very nature, it was also potentially very dangerous. Basically, the way the system was run was that if anything bad (or even remotely bad) happened, a lot of people spent a significant amount of time figuring out what went wrong and then figuring out how to prevent it from happening again. The procedures (or procedural changes) that were developed from this were then re-incorporated into the system and everyone, from top to bottom, was made to know and understand them. Many in the system (myself included) considered this method to be a major pain in the ass, but it did work pretty well. From what I understand, it still does.

Applying the above logic to the bridge issue brings us this:

1. We need to determine exactly what the cause of the bridge failure was.

2. We need to use these findings to determine the safety of ALL bridges of this type.

3. We need to repair or replace, as necessary, ALL the bridges deemed necessary by the first two procedures, IMMEDIATELY.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious here, but it seems to me that our society depends upon our infrastructure to such a great extent that we CAN NOT ALLOW this sort of thing to happen again. Whatever the reason for the bridge's failure, if we could have done something to prevent it, we should have. The alternative is unthinkable.

Again, my deepest sympathies to the victims, and their families, of this tragedy.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger bothenook said...

the nuke process has and still does work well. but there is only a small amount of politics involved in the navy's version.
when you get into the general public, it becomes a matter of who will benefit the most, and i'm not talking about the people but the politicians, as to what will be done.
here in california, we had a huge two level elevated highway in oakland called the cyprus structure. a major portion of it collapsed in the loma prieta quake in 89. it took something like 12 years to get a new structure built, at an unbelievable cost, because the building of the roadway became a foil for every minuscule political ax that was in need of grinding.
hopefully you won't see that in minni-city.
and i'm glad to see you back online. it sounds like life is testing you out, but us ex-nuke bubbleheads have already shown ourselves and the world that we are capable of dealing with just about anything simply by surviving the pipeline and boat time. be well.

1:50 PM

 
Blogger jeffox said...

Thanks for the wise words, Bo. As ever, you are the most classy of the classy - typical nuke, typical submariner.

Oh, and BTW Bo, I think that you take the best pictures on the entire internet.

7:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home