A semi-open forum to slam (or support) whatever i dream up on my blogs. Have fun! :)

Sunday, August 05, 2007

After Midnight

We're gonna find out what it is all about. . .
- J. J. Cale

A couple of weeks ago an odd thing happened. I was sleeping away one night but was awakened by something. That happens 2-3 times a night with me, so I just rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. It was a very hot night, so I had my window next to the bed open. A few minutes after rolling over I heard this swhish swhish swhish sound, and I figured what woke me up was some owl or bat outside my window. No big deal, so I rolled over the other way and tried to go back to sleep again. The swishing noise continued, however, and I began to think that it sounded like it was a bit closer than OUTSIDE the window. Uh-huh. Even half-asleep like I was, I figured I better get up and see what was going on. I got out of bed and turned on the light. Lo and behold it was a bat, and here he was flying around in circles near the ceiling of my bedroom. By this time, I'm fully awake and trying to figure out what to do next.

"Hey, there, umm, Mr. Bat, ummm, ahhh, errr, can I help you?" I said.

"Name's Bubba" he replied.

"OK, ah, Bubba, ah, ahem, you look kinda lost."

"I ain't lost. Got any bugs? I love to eat bugs."

"Ummm, no, I don't have any bugs." I thought quickly. "I think I know where you can get some, though. You see that window over there?"

"What's a window?" he asked.

I realized that that was a little too much of a human concept for him, and that this was going to be a bit more complicated than I first thought. I also realized that I didn't want to hurt the poor little fella, because I really don't like bugs and bats do eat them by the buttload. If I could get Bubba outside, both of us would be happy. I thought some more.

"What about them bugs you were talking about?" he said.

"Working on it, Bubba, just give me a little time here, OK?"

"Can you hurry? I'm hungry."

I have a lot of books here in my apartment, but nothing about bats. So I did the next best thing and turned on my computer and hopped on the 'net. A quick search turned up a couple of sites about bats, I picked one and quickly learned a safe & easy way to rid my apartment of my "pet" flying mouse. Bubba kept flying 'round and 'round - once in a while eliciting, "I want bugs!"

"I think I got it, Bubba. Could you land over here where I can help you get more bugs?"

"Sure, anything for bugs, I love 'em."

He duly flopped down on top of my cupboard in the kitchen. I got a chair and climbed up where I could see him. Then, I quickly snapped a few photos, after which I carefully placed a small cardboard box over him. Another piece of cardboard was then slid under the box, trapping Bubba momentarily. "Bugs. . . .bugs. . . bugs," was all he kept repeating, so I knew he was OK. I grabbed the whole rig and carefully got down from the cupboard via the chair. Then, I placed the box on the floor and proceeded to open the 3 doors between the box and the outside world. Returning to grab Bubba, it was then an easy thing to get him outside and lift the box.

He must have been pretty hungry because he took right off and flew around the street light, scarfing up a few mayflies along the way. He turned and looked at me. "Thanks, there, umm, what's your name?" he asked.

"Jeffox." I replied.

"Well, thanks, Jeffox, you ain't bad for a human."

"You ain't bad for a bat, Bubba. Enjoy your meal."

Then he was gone. So were all the bugs by the street lamp. Bats are cool.

Now, there might be some of you out there that think I made up this story - but remember when I wrote that I took photos? Have a look:



































And, to those of you who think that I might have "embellished" or "exaggerated" this little tale, you can just ask Bubba. Bring some bugs with you, and tell him I sent you.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home